Question: sulfur and grapes
how do you put sulfur powder on the vine?
Answer: sulfur and grapes
sulfur is a product widely used in agriculture, and also in the vegetable garden and garden, because it is very effective in the fight against white sore, and against other fungi; its action takes place more when temperatures are above 12-15 ° C, and it is greatly increased with increasing temperature; for this reason, it is used a lot in spring treatments, while in summer it is used only in the early hours of the morning or in the evening, and in particular not before irrigation, because it would be washed away from leaves, without being able to perform its curative function.
Sulfur works by contact on powdery mildew fungi, which are dehydrated by this substance, and once deprived of water they die. The presence of sulfur on the leaves also prevents fungi from settling on the leaves. In spring treatments sulfur is mixed with copper, in order to have a fungicide useful both against powdery mildew and downy mildew; sulfur also acts as a deterrent against some parasitic insects.
How to use it: sulfur exists in two different formulations, the most common one is wettable sulfur, generally it has very fine particles, which makes it very effective against fungal diseases; it is a powder, and is mixed with water, to form a fungicidal solution to vaporize on plants. In the summer months, powdery sulfur, or non-wettable sulfur, is preferred, which is then spread on the foliage of the plants using special tools that blow it on the vine. If you do not have these tools, then I recommend you use wettable sulfur: there are many anti-cryptogamic products to dissolve in water, and therefore it is more likely that in the house you already have suitable tools to vaporize a liquid on the vine, rather than blowing a powder.
The greater action of the wettable sulfur must be taken into consideration, because if the temperatures are very high, the wettable sulfur can carry out harmful activities also for the plants; therefore, in general it is best to avoid sprinkling sulfur vines with temperatures higher than 40 ° C, even more so if the sulfur is wettable. So you prefer the early morning hours, or the night hours. Treatments with mixed copper and sulfur products should be avoided at temperatures above 20 °, because they can be phytotoxic; therefore they are treatments relegated to the autumn or late winter period, when temperatures are cooler.